In the recent months I’ve detected a growing interest for downshifting in the Finnish media. Simply put, an increasing number of people are being fed up with what they do and want an easy way out.
People think shifting down is a solution.
I will argue that downshifting is actually a symptom, not a solution. Here are five reasons commonly heard against downshifting:
- Having to give up on the small pleasures of life.
- Ending up bankrupt.
- Losing one’s market value as an employee.
- Being a bad role model.
- Becoming an outcast of society.
All of these are possible scenarios but utter rubbish if you ask me. These objections are relevant only if you analyze your life top-down. Instead, you should start looking at things from the very fundamentals with a bottom-up method.
Assume for a second that you’d own absolutely nothing.
Pretty difficult to start downshifting from there. If you start from the bottom, you can only start upshifting.
- Instead of giving up something, you can enjoy anything.
- Instead of risks, all you see is possibilities.
- Suddenly the small things in life make a difference.
Instead of downshifting, start from zero and upshift a bit to the level you’re comfortable with.